Pottery Courses/classes are designed to cater for beginners with no previous experience, however, if you have wheel thrown or handbuilt before you can go through a refresher and progress at a more rapid pace.
For wheel throwing Beginners, you will learn to throw simple shapes off the wheel and then how to trim and glaze them. By the end of your first course, you will have your handmade vessels (typically bowls and cups) to take home. Advanced students can progress onto more complex shapes, lidded vessels, larger vessels and sets of pieces.
For Handbuilding beginners, we will start with projects that cover the three hand-building techniques of pinching, coiling and slab building.
- Classes are kept small, minimum of 4, and a maximum of 8.
- The first course includes the uses of tools, recycled clay, basic dipping glazes and 2.5kg of firing. Work will be ready to pick up approximately 2-3 weeks after the last term class.
- Ensure you can attend each scheduled class, as make-up classes are only permitted during the same term and only if there is a vacancy in a concurrent course.
- Due to class demand, bookings can only be refunded with at least one week’s notice and only if there is another person who can fill the vacancy.
- Once a course has begun there are no refunds or transfers.
- Students are asked to wear a mask, wear sturdy shoes, bring a towel and an apron and a willing pair of hands to each class.
- Leave your wheel and area around your wheel in the same clean state it was in when you commenced the class.
- Please advise the teacher if you cannot attend a class ASAP so that other students can possibly use it for make-up classes. Thanks.
Priority is given to returning students and the remaining spots are open to new students.
Students are provided with an unlimited amount of raw clay (recycled stoneware clay or Keene’s Paperclay) to work with, however, once you commit to firing pieces in the kiln there is a limit of 2.5kg of finished work per student, this is included in the course fee.
Students can make and have work fired that is over this limit, however, there is an additional charge of $10/kg for each firing, and $10/kg for use of glazes, to be paid prior to picking up final work.
Only work made in class will be fired. Work is not permitted to be completed outside of class and brought back to class.
Use of own glazes is not permitted.
Communication During the Term
A WhatsApp group will be created for ease of group communication. Please advise the teacher if you do not wish to be part of the WhatsApp group.
Payment will assume that you agree with the terms and conditions.
Direct enquiries to Karen Steenbergen on 0417 53 93 43
Or email email@example.com